So I applied for this job that required me to do a writing sample. I had an hour to write a review of my own autobiography (which obviously has not been written). Here's what I came up with.
“The field is green and solid under my feet. My jersey,
washed this morning, smells like a tropical waterfall, and it’s kind of
sticking. Mom must have forgot the dryer sheet. From the corner of my eye I can
see my fellow teammates, lined up and ready for action. That black and white
ball in the referee’s hand is begging for a new life in the other team’s goal.
I am a giant among men. No, hold on. I am a 17 year old among 6 year olds. This
soccer day camp is not what I expected.”
So begins “Wanderlove,” Alyssa H’s new
autobiography. A soon-to-be graduate of Brigham Young University, H has
finally deemed it necessary to publish every inane detail of her 22 years of
life—because, really, how else could she fill an entire book? From her days as
an over-achieving second-grader to a really cool, socially accepted,
bagpipe-playing high-schooler to a world-traveling, contemporary-dancing French
major, H’s book lives up to its promise to “make you 1) feel better
about yourself and 2) go on a chocolate frosting binge.” (Spoiler: she actually
went to every day of that soccer day camp, even though the cute instructor
asked if she was the assistant.)
She credits her relaxed, easy-going personality to the two
years she spent in Hawaii, thanks to the arrival of a college acceptance letter
on the dreariest, February-ist North Idaho day on the record. It was here she
learned to do the haka (the really intense Maori war ritual mostly reserved for
rugby games) and live out of vending machines (which had actually been a
life-long dream. Just ask her parents). Of course, she had to learn to surf.
She fondly recalls her first surf lesson, when, after an hour or so of catching
every wave, the instructor asked if she was ready to try one on her own.
Realizing for the first time that he had actually been pushing her 12-foot
padded foam board into each of those waves, she vowed to never look him in the
eye again. And to start doing more push-ups.
And yet, she’s no self-made woman. Sprinkled through are
vignettes featuring those people who’ve made a real influence on H’s
life—her parents, for their eternal support of a daughter who wanted to be a
knight until she decided she’d rather go to Hogwarts, a best friend who rode in
the cop car with her (after their car broke down on the highway), a Dutch
triathlete who greatly overestimated H’s stamina for bike-riding, and a
French host-mother who spoke incredibly fast and believed raw hamburger was a
perfectly suitable dinner. Every night.
Somehow, it works. Her 22 years of unexpected adventures
come together as neatly as the first time you tried to make an origami swan,
and you can’t help but wish you could join her as she concludes, “Welp, time to
go. Roller derby try-outs are calling!”
(p.s. I got the job)
(p.s. I got the job)
8 comments:
you are so amazing and my heart hurts i want to sit and talk and eat and watch gilmore girls with you so badly
Other options to Wanderlove (which is good, but you asked [technically]):
Living Among the Mortals: Life & Happenings of a Sexpot
Smiling on the Outside - Swearing in my Head
The Most Interesting Girl in the Room (any room, ever)
Psh. You don't need an autobiography. I already wrote your biography: "Alyssa has been, is, and will forever be, all things awesome." Ta-da!
Absolutely the most awesomest thing I have ever read. I must read the book! Maybe there are even more nice things about your parents in there?
your writing IS THE BEST. SO MANY THINGS about this. if only hogwarts and alanna could have met... and you were the coolest, bagpipe playing, homeschooling highschooler. ever.
you are brilliant
Post a Comment