May 30, 2008

Bonjour Paris!

From Prague we took another all night train (this one didn't have even have the plastic, fold-down beds, so it was a little rougher) and we got to Paris about 12:00 in the afternoon. First thing, we hopped on the metro and found a hostel (Blue Planet- don't go there) and dropped our stuff off. Then we pulled our usual stunt and just started goin!
First stop: Arc de Triomphe. . . Not so much triumph for poor lil Napoleon. For some reason Waterloo is not one of the cities carved into that arch... The French Tomb of the Unknown Soldier is underneath the Arc, and while we were there, there was a big ceremony and they relit the Eternal Flame. Twas neat. After that,

WHERE ELSE
but the Eiffel Tower? As I said, we were dog tired of stairs, so we decided to pay whatever price we had to in order to take the elevator all the way to the top, and it was well worth the wait and the money. During the infinity and day-long wait, my big brother shared with me the comic genius of Demetri Martin, who is easily one of the most hilarious people I have ever, ever heard. We looked like a couple of psychos, laughing so hard we were crying, but hey- that just means we fit in with all the crazy people roaming the streets! Anyway, the tower did indeed live up to all the hype, it was amazing. And the lights were awesome! All flashing everywhere. Good thing I don't have epilepsy. The day ended with a crepe. full of nutella. and it was good.

CULTURE
Next day came the Louvre. Holy cannoli. Mona Lisa, the Dying Slave, Nike, the gangs all here! Honestly, I can't even really describe it. Just go if you can.

WE JUST WANNA SEE THE DEAD PEOPLE.
Si vous plait? No. The catacombs are closed. Both days we tried to go. But a lady does sell really good crepes nearby. I had three. I was really full. And I managed to get nutella allll over my face, hands, and clothes. It was impressive.

No comments: