May 23, 2008

Athens- City of Really Old Stuff

So, I got home from school at 2 a.m. on April 24. I then commenced feverishly packing and making last minute runs to Wal-Mart, getting the snow tires taken off my snazzy Ford Explorer in my free time, and then I left on the 26th! First stop- Spokane, Washington; then on to Minneapolis, then to Amsterdam and then my final flying destination of Athens, Greece.
I stepped off the plane, tried to find someone to stamp my passport (I did not succeed), got my backpack, went outside and saw my big braddah for the first time this year and his marine buddy from high school. Yay reunions!
It was a holiday in Greece because apparently they celebrate Easter, the day after Easter, and the day after the day after Easter (this is Orthodox Easter, mind you)- so the point is that everything was closed. We caught a bite in the airport McDonald's and then hopped on the train for the hour-long ride to the center of town.
We didn't do too much that day because it was already the 27th, and for some reason I was kind of tired. We did, however, happen to see the changing of the guard at some Greek palace, and it was one of the most boringly entertaining things I've ever seen.
Here's a picture of the second most embarrassing military uniform on earth (sorry it's blurry, my new camera was defective)

Those black things on his feet are seriously giant pompoms. Poor, poor man.

Day 2
We saw the Acropolis, the Agora and the Parthenon. I think it's some kind of requirement for every cool monument to be covered in scaffolding, which was a tad disappointing, but it was still amazing to be there-the cradle of civilization! Imagining everything that had happened in the very places I was standing was overwhelming!

Oh, and since I am ridiculously obsessed with food-
Durum doners are The most delicious thing ever, and I am now going through withdrawal because there's no way they would pass U.S. food regulations :(
- First, they shave off some beef from a big hunk that's hanging over the counter
- Next, the beef is put in a pita with some spicy sauce, french fries, tomatoes and whatever else they feel like
- Then they hand it to you and you go to heaven.
After the doners. . . gelato. Even more heaven. Did you have any idea that there was Nutella gelato? Yeah. It's divine.

On the way home that night we found the most random little zoo in the middle of a park. We stopped to watch the little conglomeration of peacocks, pidgeons, pheasants, ducks, geese, bunnies and mountain goats. Yep, go figure. But then, all of a sudden, tragedy struck! 3 ducks ganged up on another duck and were trying to kill it for at least 10 minutes; they were biting onto its neck and hanging on, and they pushed it into a hole and jumped in on top of it. We threw rocks at 'em so they'd stop, but they didn't even notice! It was disturbing. We left before we got too depressed about the state of the animal kingdom. I blame it on global warming.

No comments: